utilities for active directory and smbpasswd

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Mon Oct 29 23:08:01 GMT 2001

Jim,

I've been thinking about the "netjoin" command that I have been
working on for joining a kerberos realm. I think a better approach
might be to extend your new "net" command to have a "net join"
option. I'm also thinking we could use "net password" to replace the
current smbpasswd command and maybe replace smbtree with "net view".

In general I think we have too many badly written and badly documented
little utilities. By consolidating some of them into "net" and
expanding on the builtin help for the net command I think we will end
up with something that is more useful and consistent.

I think a first step would be to split net.c up a bit, with a separate
file per command. eg. utils/net_session.c containing the code for just
the "net session" command. Then we can start adding a few more
commands like "net password" and I can add "net join". We would need
options to say what sort of domain we are joining (NT4 or ADS).

What do you think? Right approach, or should we stick to lots of
little utils?

Cheers, Tridge