Possible bug when I try to copy a subtree with windows explorer (PR#21927)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Oct 29 18:18:02 GMT 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 02:21:48PM -0800, xavier at iname.com wrote:
> Full_Name: Xavier Garcia
> Samba_Version: 2.2.2
> Server_OS: Debian Woody 2.4.13
> Client_OS: Windows 98/2000/XP
> Submission from: (NULL) (217.126.84.39)
>

> If you have this subtree :
>
> DirA
> L----DirB
> I   L----DirA
> I   I
> I   L-file1.ext
> L-file1.ext
>
> you get an error about existing DirA when the system try to copy this subtree to
> the root of a shared in a samba server, de inside DirA directory or the
> file1.ext file don't get copied because they EXIST ! (wrong because they exist
> in another level of the tree that it's created in the copy process, file and
> directories have  identical names)
>
> Please try to reproduce in any of your servers.
>
> I copy with a Drag&Drop from the files view to the tree view of explorer.
> The same error occurs within the command line processor of windows using xcopy
> /s/e.

I'm afraid this looks like a problem Andrew discovered with the Debian
Samba 2.2.2 only.

It appears that the Debian Samba maintainer added a completely
untested (by the Samba Team) patch to their 2.2.2 release, and
LEFT THE SAME VERSION NUMBER !!!!!

I'm not too happy about this (I know Andrew isn't) and don't
really want to waste my time debugging problems introduced by
vendors.

We ship a "known" version for a reason, if Vendors want to change
it please at least modify the version string so we know it isn't
the code we tested.......

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.