LDAP: profilePath and smbHome macro expansion

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Mon Oct 29 14:58:02 GMT 2001

Jean Francois Micouleau wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Even so, it would be really nice to be able to keep this functionality
> > in some form for some sites - so if anybody as some real suggestions on
> > how to implement it (probably by tagging fields as they are modified) I
> > would be glad to hear them.  But the solutions *must* be robust, or they
> > end up being of no value in any case.
>
> add a bitmask to store which fields are filled or empty.
>
> that's *exactly* what MS did. the unknown3 in a samr_user_info_21 is a
> bitfield.
>
> when you do a samr_set_user_info() only the fields tagged are written on
> disk.

Great.  Would remove a lot of the hackery in pdb_nisplus - it seems (on
last reading) to spend a lot of time figuring out what feilds had been
modfied, having the passdb infrustrure tell it would make *much* more
sense.

So the copy_id21_to_sampasswd should only be copying fields mentioned in
that bitmask?
Currently the code is pretty bad, and I have a reworked version that
uses the new passdb interface.  Is it known exactly what bits line up
with what feilds?

> IIRC, we had this discussion with jerry 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I'm sorry I missed it (or wasn't paying attention).

Thanks!

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Samba Team member, Build Farm maintainer        abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net