is samba LinuxVirtualServer-able?

Ryan Fox rfox at noguska.com
Fri Oct 26 10:39:03 GMT 2001

Joesph,
Thanks for your work on LVS.  I've read your howto many times :), and I'm
running a one loadbalancer, 2 realserver setup here for many different
services (not Samba tho).

http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/msdfs_setup.html
is a good resource for setting up a dfs based samba configuration.  I think
this is what you would want, as it allows tree to be set up, with leaf
shares set up with multiple servers.  The configuration I'm thinking of
would have each LVS director running Samba with a dfs root share set up,
with leaf shares pointing to shares served by the realservers.  Load
balancing and replication can then be achieved from pointing different
clients at different trees, and having other directors takeover trees from
failed directors.

This sounds to me like it would allow clients to survive a failed load
balancer fairly well (at least without requiring a reboot), and realserver
failures would be compensated for by using dfs.  Load balancing is achieved
on the realservers (that do most of the work) by dfs, because the load
balancers are only acting as somewhat of a proxy between the clients and the
realservers.

Hopefully Chris Hertel or someone else can give a better answer as to what
to expect from this type of setup.  If this setup won't work for some reason
that I don't see, I hope it gives the samba people a better idea of what LVS
does and the LVS people a better idea of what samba does.

Cheers,
Ryan Fox