Authenticating as non-system users

Radu Rendec rrendec at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 05:13:03 GMT 2001

Hi!

I'm trying to develop a VFS module for an sql-based
filesystem. I need to authenticate non-system users
(user information is also held in an sql database)
and I think PAM is one siple way to do it.

The problem is that smbd needs an existing account on
the system. I'd like samba to use a default account
after the PAM authentication is done, no matter what
the original username was.

I had a look at the code and found out that samba
automatically uses the guest account if the specified
username doesn't exist. The problem is that after the
PAM queries (which always succeed because I used
pam_permit.so) the
authentication fails with the following message in the
logs:
[2001/10/26 14:53:53, 4]
smbd/password.c:password_ok(592)
  Null passwords not allowed.