Questions

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu Oct 25 12:15:02 GMT 2001

Ludolf Holzheid wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2001, at 7:40, David Collier-Brown wrote:
> >
> >       Using an nfs disk is **dangerous**, and a smb
> >       or novell disk will merely fail to scale past
> >       the first few simultaneous users.
> >

> What do you mean is dangerous, using a shared database on an NFS disk
> or NFS per se?

	Anything using NFS locks: either databases files or
	record locks on random-access files. NFS locking
	is <mode=politically correct> perhaps not as good
	as I'd like <mode=snarky>pretty unimpressive.</mode>

> Our samba server re-exports NFS mounted disks, that's why I'm
> concerned about.

	I do that a lot: it's safe, if slow (two network hops)

--dave
Americas Customer Engineering, | some people and astonish the rest.
SunPS Integration Services.    |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com