Problems with samba 2.2.2

jtrostel at snapserver.com jtrostel at snapserver.com
Wed Oct 24 08:26:21 GMT 2001

1. I'm tossing this over to the samba-technical list too.

On 24-Oct-2001 Jörg Hänsel wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm running samba 2.2.2 on a Linux Debian Woody System and encountered some
> problems.
>
> First of all my settings:
>       Linux 2.4.12 SMP + XFS + ACL Patch
>       libc6 2.2.4-3
>       gcc-2.95 2.95.4-0.01100
>       acl, acl-dev 1.1.3-0
>       xfsprogs, xfslibs-dev 1.3.5-0
>
> I rebuilt the packages acl, acl-dev from oss.sgi.com and samba as debian
> packages.
> The ACLs and XFS seem work fine and pretty fast.

This means that you can use 'chacl', 'getfacl', and 'setfacl' correctly on an
XFS filesystem?

> I built 4 different version of samba for testing (the filename describes the
> additional configure options):
>
> samba_2.2.2-1_i386.deb
> samba_2.2.2-acl-1_i386.deb
> samba_2.2.2-acl-ssl-1_i386.deb
> samba_2.2.2-ssl-1_i386.deb
>
> On all versions of samba the following problems occured:
>
> Groupmemberships ignored:
> -------------------------
> The users on my server are members of different groups. The primary group is
> the userid itself (debian like). There is a specil group calles "smbdomadm"
> which decides whether a domain user has admin rights or not.
> When I am logging in from a Windows NT Client the following message appears
> in "log.smb":
> 4 user groups:
>   1001 10010 20000 22000
>
> Group 10010 is "smbdomadm". But after logging in the user doesn't have admin
> rights. The "User manager for domains" says: User XXX has primary group 1001
> and is member of users which has gid 100 and is not right.
> So samba seems to ignore the group memberships and the "domain admin group"
> in smb.conf.

User manager for domains is running on the NT server.  I'm not sure how it is
supposed to know about the groups you have assigned on the Samba server. Does
'getent group' show this user in your LOCAl 'smbdomadm' group?

> By the way I tried to reduce the membership of user XXX to 1001 (primary)
> and 10010 (other) but nothing changed.
>
> ACLs do not work:
> -----------------
> When I use the ACL capable versions of samba the file security dialog under
> Windows NT does not show the correct ACLs.
> I use Default ACLs. Perhaps this causes problems under windows NT.

Please be more specific in how this is failing.  Are you setting ACLs in Samba
that are not reflected when you try 'getfacl'?  Are you setting ACLs under
Linux that are not reflected when you look at them through the NT security
dialog?  What is the ACL set for your directory?  What is the umask set as?

--
John M. Trostel
Senior Software Engineer
jtrostel at snapserver.com