2.2.2 and oplocks and Word

Scott Moomaw scott at bridgewater.edu
Tue Oct 23 08:19:03 GMT 2001

Jerry, we've just tried reproducing the problem again and have been
successful.  We're running the CVS as of 8am yesterday on Solaris 2.8.
The problem exhibits itself when oplocks are on.  I've gzipped a log file
and placed it on the web at
http://www.bridgewater.edu/~scott/tmp_problem_log.gz for you to see.

Here's the scenario involved:
- Ran Frontpage 2000
- Attempt to save test.html which contained simple text
- Got a "File already exists. Do you want to overwrite" message
  even though the file was new.  We chose NO.
- Attempt to save as test2.html
- Again got "File already exists. Do you want to overwrite" message but
  this time we chose YES.
- The process of generating hundreds of fsaXX.tmp files began.
We had to finally break out of Frontpage to get sanity back.  All of the
files created (test.html, test2.html, and the tmp files) were 0 bytes in
size afterwards.  The system worked normally with oplocks off.

In this particular case, Frontpage was used; however, other applications
Word, Pagemaker, etc exhibited the same symptoms in the past.

Scott

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Scott Moomaw wrote:
>
> > I'm inclined to believe that the problem we saw with lots of TMP files
> > being created might be related to this.  FWIW, I've included the earlier
> > email snippet that detailed what we saw.  I believe that the method of
> > temporary file management used by some windows applications isn't yet 100%
> > supported in Samba.  I've left our system with oplocks disabled since this
> > problem occured so I don't have more info; however, I just wanted to throw
> > this into the mix since it seems (at least to me :-) to be somewhat
> > related.
>
> This might have been a "delete on close" bug, but it seems to be ok
> in the latest release.  Can you still reproduce the problem
> using the latest SAMBA_2_2 cvs?

 Scott Moomaw, Network Administrator              Scott at Bridgewater.edu
 Bridgewater College, IT Center
 Bridgewater, VA  22812
 Phone (540) 828 - 8000  x5437              FAX:  (540) 828 - 5493