Installing drivers through PnP

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Oct 22 11:06:02 GMT 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 08:14:35AM -0700, REILLY,JOHN R (HP-Roseville,ex1) wrote:

> Actually, I think this is a bit overstated. Those driver writers were doing
> their job given the environment they planned to sell their products into.
> They never expected Samba to come along, and not be able to do what MS told
> them it would do for them. Lets not winge on about MS's clearly BAD design.
> There is a work around. Its been in Samba for awhile. Yes it sucks that it
> requires client side code, but at least you can get your drivers properly
> setup.

Stop being so damn reasonable, John. You ruined a perfectly good flame :-).

I would still argue that assuming that the printer driver server could run
arbitrary x86 Win32 binaries was a fatal flaw for Microsoft and driver writers.
It was a (small) part of hastening the death of Windows on any other platform
that x86 (I remember being excited about a truely portable OS from Microsoft...
.... ah, those were my yound and innocent days :-) :-).

Jeremy.