File not found/No permissions problem (Solved)

Denis Sbragion d.sbragion at infotecna.it
Mon Oct 22 09:44:02 GMT 2001

Hello,

well, I found a solution for the File not found/No permissions problem. The
problem is caused by kernel oplocks. If I set "kernel oplocks = no" after
shutting down and restarting samba things start working the right way (i.e.
as perfect as samba usually do). This is consistent with the fact that with
the old 2.0.38 kernel, which doesn't support kernel oplocks, there was no
problem at all.
	I don't know which strange interaction is going on between kernel oplocks
an long names. May be the name mangling code fools the kernel, may be a
kernel bug (I'm using 2.4.9 now). I'm willing to help find a solution or a
workaround for this weird bug, anyway I think it may be rather difficult to
trace it because it happens at random. Usually the problem appears
consistently on some clients if you drag and drop a file in a long name
folder into a Notepad icon. It doesn't happen if you double click on it or
if you drag and drop it into an already open Notepad. Sometimes instead of
the no permission message you get a pause and an oplock break error in the
log and after that things start working even with kernel oplocks enabled
(are they turned off by samba?). Another things I noticed is that if you
right click on an EXE or a DLL in a long name folder and get the
properties, you don't get version informations. Again with kernel oplocks
off, or after the oplock break error, it starts working again. As usual
this happens only on Win98 (SE), not on NT or 2k. I haven't tested with Win95.
	I hope this could help reproduce and solve the bug. For further
informations don't esitate to contact me.

Bye and thanks to the samba team for their great work.
--
	Denis Sbragion
	InfoTecna