Installing drivers through PnP

REILLY,JOHN R (HP-Roseville,ex1) jreilly at hp.com
Mon Oct 22 09:26:04 GMT 2001

JF -

> > a solution would be to maintain a drivers blacklist. For each of this
> > drivers we maintain a list of fixup we do when such a driver is setup.
>
> I tried that. If you eliminate the user mode drivers (SPLUserModeDriver),
> you drop a huge number of drivers from the mix. If you black list all
> drivers
> that have ANY sort of problems because they have not been initialized, you
> drop most drivers.
>
> I don't want to drop a list of drivers. I was more thinking of a list of
> drivers where samba does the initalisation, ie: doing some
> SetPrinterData() by ourself.
>
> that's still pretty ugly and complex to maintain.
>
> 	J.F.

Agreed. But this would be hard to build and maintain. We talked about this
issue last year...

BTW, I had originally detected the SPLUserModeDriver requirement in a driver
by literally grep'ing the string (in unicode AND plain ASCII) out of either
the driver dll or the config dll. But I found exceptions; some drivers that
had the string still worked. It turns out they were not user mode drivers,
but they had the string in their code. I suspect they were built (poorly)
from a common code base. This is what necessitated the "validate driver
command" config option (APPLIANCE_HEAD only).

Cheers
JohnR