Check out his .sig

Conrad Minshall conrad at apple.com
Sun Oct 21 09:12:03 GMT 2001

At 8:54 AM -0700 10/21/01, Luke Howard wrote:
>Apple ships an SMB client in OS X 10.1 which is AFAIK based on Samba.
>It is quite well integrated with the Finder and talks to my W2K
>box just fine.

Luke, Apple's smb client filesystem is based on Boros Popov's FreeBSD
version, not on Samba.  Samba includes a program called "smbclient" which
implements an ftp-like interface perhaps you were thinking of that.

The integration with the Finder has room for improvement imho.

>Apple also ship SAMBA in OS X Server with some hooks for their
>directory services. (The source code this is available from
>http://www.publicsource.apple.com/projects/darwin/darwinserver/)

The client filesystem source is in Darwin too.  Look for "smbfs".
Licensing remains FreeBSD, not APSL.

--
Conrad Minshall, conrad at apple.com, 408 974-2749
Apple Computer, Mac OS X Core Operating Systems