Installing drivers through PnP

Jean Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at dalalu.fr
Fri Oct 19 15:15:01 GMT 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Currently, I don't think there's any way for Samba to fix drivers like these.
> It's actually a bug in the drivers, that they expect to be able to run
> on the server (all the world is x86 of course....).

a solution would be to maintain a drivers blacklist. For each of this
drivers we maintain a list of fixup we do when such a driver is setup.

Ugly isn't it ?  It's yet one more ugliness we could do thanks to some
braindead driver writers.

> This would break if an NT alpha box was trying to serve out x86 driver
> binaries to Windows clients.

no because you are required to install alpha driver before installing x86
drivers. Oh I forgot those braindead writers don't have a clue about what
an alpha is !!!! So those drivers don't exist for alpha arch !

> > I am not sure how this problem can be dealt with in Samba since the DLL code
> > can not be run and we haven't seen any way to anticipate the required
> > settings.It looks like it may need to handled by getting the driver authors
> > to stop relying on this initialization of the registry settings.
>
> Absolutely. These are really driver bugs that are "permitted" on Windows
> x86 systems.

in a printer driver you're allowed to zap the HD partition. Hopefully
since sp4, you must be administrator to install a new driver !

	J.F.