no name services! rpc_ns_binding_xxx() is blank!

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at spin.ict.pwr.wroc.pl
Thu Oct 18 06:49:02 GMT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> argh!
>
> implicit_handle types take the first argument of
> a dce/rpc function and do a look-up on that argument
> with rpc_ns_binding_lookup_begin.

the only functions with such name I found are:
 - rpc_ns_binding_import_begin()
 - rpc_ns_binding_import_next()
 - rpc_ns_binding_import_done()

:)

> this presumes that rpc_ns_binding_export has been
> called by a server to register the UUID of the
> service IDL with an appropriate name.
>
> see include/dce/rpc.idl grep for rpc_ns_binding to find
> a list of all relevant functions.
>
> ... trouble is, these are implemented in
> dcelib/dummyfuncs.c
>
> ... errr does the name give you any clues? :) :)
>
> ARGH :)
>

> does this give people clues as to what that nice little
> dialog box on the Network Control Panel in NT4 does?  the
> one for configuring the "RPC" service, to select either
> "Windows Naming Service" or "DCE Cell Directory Services"?

Interesting in this context is the actual difference from programmers
point of view ...
I think it should be mentioned somewhere in the documentation of
freedce. The one that should be written sooner or later.

> ah ha!  another piece of the puzzle fits together...
>
> *sob* :)
>
> luke

cheers,

Rafal 'Mimir' Szczesniak <mimir at spin.ict.pwr.wroc.pl>   |
*BSD, Linux and Samba                                  /