Curious

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Thu Oct 18 03:24:08 GMT 2001

Srinidhi R Iyangar wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am interested in understanding the Samba implementation. I am going thru
> 'C' files.. comments are really helping me. If anybody has samba DESIGN doc/
> Funictional Specs/ DFD please send it.
>
> Even if you have a block diaghram it will help me.

Just a warning about those comments.  They vary from misleading to just
plain wrong.  Unfortunately code often gets updated but the comments do
not...

Its probably best to attempt to understand it one part at a time, and to
probably focus on HEAD, as some of the subsystems are a bit better
defined there.  Samba is *too* big to 'userstand' in any detail, you
just have to trust that various parts do their job.  I focus on the
areas affected by authentication, for example, but even that makes me
quite familiar with things like the basic smb replys, netlogon,
authenticated pipe calls and the passdb implementation.

Grab yourself a something like Source Navigator or even just emacs,
etags and grep and start hunting down function calls.  Eventually you
will start to see where the different parts fall together.

Hope this helps

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Samba Team member, Build Farm maintainer        abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net