2.2.1a and 2.2.2 smbd/nmbd handle -l differently

samba-technical at thewrittenword.com samba-technical at thewrittenword.com
Tue Oct 16 19:05:01 GMT 2001

According to smbd(8) for 2.2.1a:
     -l <log file>
          If specified, log file specifies a  log  filename  into
          which informational and debug messages from the running
          server will be logged. The log file generated is  never
          removed  by  the  server  although its size may be con-
          trolled  by  the   max   log   size   option   in   the
          smb.conf(5)file. The default log file name is specified
          at compile time.

and, smbd(8) for 2.2.2:
     -l <log file>
          If specified, log file specifies a  log  filename  into
          which informational and debug messages from the running
          server will be logged. The log file generated is  never
          removed  by  the  server  although its size may be con-
          trolled  by  the   max   log   size   option   in   the
          smb.conf(5)file. The default log file name is specified
          at compile time.

This leads me to believe that:
  $ smbd -l /tmp/foo
will write to the log file "/tmp/foo". For 2.2.1a, this works. For
2.2.2, no log file is written. Yet, if I:
  $ mkdir /tmp/foo
  $ smbd -l /tmp/foo
then the log file is "/tmp/foo/log.smbd".

Should -l in 2.2.2 behave like in 2.2.1a? I didn't see a note of the
change in WHATSNEW.txt.

Ditto for nmbd.

--
albert chin (china at thewrittenword.com)