Samba 2.2.2 released

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Oct 16 15:13:54 GMT 2001

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 02:18:45PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 01:47:23PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 09:38:53AM +0200, Hans-Joerg Wolff wrote:
> > > Just as reminder ;-)
> > >
> > > When calling smbstatus after compiling Samba 2.2.2 with --with-spinlocks I
> > > still get a segmentation fault.
> >
> > I just re-compiled 2.2.2 with this option and do not get a segfault.
> > Can you provide more information on your platform and compile with -g
> > and give me a stack backtrace please ?
>
> Never mind - ignore this - I reproduced it. I know what the problem
> is, now to decide how to fix it..... hmmmm.

Ok - now fixed. Here's the commit message that explains the problem.
It's not a perfect fix, but will be ok under the circumstances.

Jeremy.

Don't core dump when using spinlocks on a read-only tdb. Unfortunately this
means that a read-write opener and a read-only opener are using different
locking mechanisms - this needs to be addressed, but it's hard as the
read-write opener using the spinlocks is usually first, so there's no
way to force them to change down to the fcntl method.
Read only access is less important anyway and can never corrupt the
tdb anyway, so errors in read-only record reads are more tolerable.
Jeremy