Shared Memory Problem Resolved

ANELLOT at Nationwide.com ANELLOT at Nationwide.com
Tue Oct 16 05:28:01 GMT 2001

Thanks to everyone who helped with the shared memory problem I had with our
Solaris box. I knew I needed to raise the level of shared memory that samba
2.0.9 was using but the tunable parameter would not take. I found out, and
I am sure most of you know this, that Solaris has a max shared mem segment
setting of 1 meg by default. If you want to use more than that in samba or
oracle or anything else, you need to put the following syntax in your
/etc/system file and reboot:
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=5242880 (or whatever amount you want)
**note, some other shared memory and semaphore settings should be looked at
as well.

if you do a /usr/sbin/sysdef as root, it will show you your current shared
memory settings.

After making these changes I noted that samba adjusted it shared memory to
my settings in smb.conf.

Thanks again,
Todd Anello
Nationwide