Is there a Samba C/C++ API?

Mike Papper mike at digitalpipe.net
Mon Oct 15 12:44:03 GMT 2001

Is there a programming interface to/for Samba? I would like to talk with a NT
PDC from my C program. If there is no official API + shared object library,
is there a standard technique for cut-pasting the samba source code and using
that (or a portion of it) as a shared library - like a do-it-yourself API?

I did see something like this in the mod_ntlm code for Apache. It uses what
looks like samba API calls to logon a user. I want to do a similar thing (but
not in Apache) to:

find the following information from an NT Primary Domain Controller:
i) a list of all users
ii) a list of all groups
iii) for a given user, what groups they are in
iv) for a given group, a list of all users

Is this even remotely possible from a C/C++ program (running on linux)?

I hear rumors that "samba doesn't do groups" - is this true? What does it
mean?

Also, does anyone know of some documentation that ties together windows-based
authentication - stuff like samba, NT, PDCs, LanMan, LDAP/ActiveDirectory
etc?

P.S. could you respond to my email "mike at digitalpipe.net" as I'm not on the
list yet - and I'm not sure if I should.

--
Mike Papper
Digital Pipe
mike at digitalpipe.net