samba library version checking

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Mon Oct 15 06:24:03 GMT 2001

Ben Menking wrote:
> The only question I have is if we use H.0.0 in development would
> it be changed to 3.0.0 when the code is released?

	In principle the leftmost digit changes only
	when an incompatable change occurs, so the
	release is independant of the version.

	If you were at 3.0.16 in development and
	you were happy with it, you'd release as
	3.0.16.

	Some organizations (eg, the Linux folks)
	use odd/even values of the second digit to
	production versus development versions,
	so they would be developing on 3.1.43
	and releasing as 3.2.0...

--dave
Americas Customer Engineering, | some people and astonish the rest.
SunPS Integration Services.    |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com