naming of po files

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Sun Oct 14 23:14:02 GMT 2001

The extension "po" is getting overloaded in Samba. We originally
started using it as "PIC Object" for when we are creating shared
libraries, then when the recent internationalisation stuff was added
we started getting language files ending in .po (eg. po/ja.po). Right
now we have a problem in the head branch that "make clean" deletes
*/*.po which deletes all the message translations!

So, we could fix this by fixing "make clean" to be more selective, but
that still could lead to confusion. We could call the PIC files
something else or we could make the new language files use a different
extension.

I'm inclined to make the language files use a different extension, say
.lang or .msg. This also makes sense as we now don't use GNU gettext,
we are using a little gettext replacement that doesn't understand the
full syntax of po files.

Monyo, what do you think? Ok to make the po language files use a
different extension?

Cheers, Tridge