What happend to 2.2.2

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Thu Oct 11 14:31:20 GMT 2001

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 06:41:51AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Confirmed.   SAMBA_2_2 as of about now fails NT4 SP6a on a file-share
> > connection (no domain logon) with long passwords
> > (12345678901234567890).  Passwords trucated to 14 chars work however,
> > due to the way 2.2 processes passwords.  (2.2 uses either the NT or the
> > LM hash, which ever matches.)
>
> Did it occur to you that NT4SP6a cannot ever *set* or cope with >14
> character passwords ? Try setting one in user manager - it starts
> beeping when you try to add the 15th character.

> Please try and be more accurate with bug reports. I'm trying to
> ship this bloody thing and such reports just slow it down right
> now.... :-) :-).
>
> Jeremy.

I thought I had the problem pinned down.  The particular issue I had at
hawkerc.net was that upon the upgrade from a post 2.2.0 cvs to 2.2.1a,
users with long passwords (which may only have been 12/13/14 chars, its
not entirly clear) could no longer login.  (These passwords were set
with pam_smbpasswd from easier this year).  Before this they could.  I
neglected to chase it down for a bit, but these passwords were reported
as working under Win9X but failing under NT4 6a and Win2k.

As I don't have the time/facilities to chase this up any further right
now, I suppose I better let you get on with your release...

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Samba Team member, Build Farm maintainer        abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net