What happend to 2.2.2

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Oct 11 14:03:03 GMT 2001

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 06:41:51AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Confirmed.   SAMBA_2_2 as of about now fails NT4 SP6a on a file-share
> connection (no domain logon) with long passwords
> (12345678901234567890).  Passwords trucated to 14 chars work however,
> due to the way 2.2 processes passwords.  (2.2 uses either the NT or the
> LM hash, which ever matches.)

Did it occur to you that NT4SP6a cannot ever *set* or cope with >14
character passwords ? Try setting one in user manager - it starts
beeping when you try to add the 15th character.

Also, the "invalid password" error you get on doing a

NET USE * \\SAMBASERVER\SHARE /USER:SAMBASERVER\username *
(type 20 character password here)

is *locally* generated by NT4SP6a - no net connection is ever done.

Try with W2K (which does support long passwords) with a 2.2.2
Samba server instead.

Please try and be more accurate with bug reports. I'm trying to
ship this bloody thing and such reports just slow it down right

Jeremy.