Mount points and free disk space

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Oct 8 07:55:05 GMT 2001

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 rob.leadbeater at lynx.co.uk wrote:

> If Samba is used to share out a directory, which has mount points
> below it, then the amount of disk space reported by Samba is based on
> the share name rather than the actual amount of space available.
>
> If you look at the following examples, you will see that smbclient
> (and windows clients) reports that there are 3768400 (ish) KB free in
> /images rather than 8547972 KB - the sum of the amounts available in
> the mount points.

This is by design.  When the client issues a QUERY_FS_INFO trans2
call, we call disk_free on the top level directory of the share.
Trying to walk the directory tree would result is horrible performance
and quite often not matter.

> I doubt this is a major issue for most people, however its worth
> checking out if you're not getting the disk space you're expecting.

You're probably right, but it is a good point to make.  Thanks for
bringing it up.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org