compiler warnings

andreas moroder claudiamoroder at st-ulrich.suedtirol.net
Sun Oct 7 07:08:03 GMT 2001

Hello

I added a few warning flags to my Makefile and got lot of them. Few of them
look really like errors:

intl/lang_tdb.c: In function `load_po':
---> intl/lang_tdb.c:31: warning: `msgid' might be used uninitialized in this
function
in effect few lines later..

	for (i=0;i<num_lines;i++) {
		if (strncmp(lines[i], "msgid \"", 7) == 0) {
			msgid = lines[i] + 7;
		}
		if (strncmp(lines[i], "msgstr \"", 8) == 0) {
			msgstr = lines[i] + 8;
			trim_string(msgid, NULL, "\"");

msgid may be passed to trim_string unitialized. May be that the compiler
initializes the pointer to NULL, but it don't know if this is allways true.

libsmb/libsmbclient.c: In function `smbc_telldir':
libsmb/libsmbclient.c:2181: warning: cast from pointer to integer of
different size

This confirms the posting  "libsmbclient off_t size problem" of Tom  Jansen

What about the warning about not used variables ?
Would it not be better to set as default more warnings in the head Makefile ?

Bye

Andreas