Samba: Not in WINS problem

Tobias Burnus tobias.burnus at physik.fu-berlin.de
Fri Oct 5 02:42:03 GMT 2001

Hi,

we use Samba-2.2-CVS-2001-06-28. One Samba is PDC and the other Sambas
(and windows computers) have joined this domain and use WINS.

a) Problem one:
Sometimes a samba client is no longer in WINS. Is there another methode
than to restart it?

(I just had the problem that the server which servers  the WWW directories
(\\www\www -> /www/%u ) has stopped to be visible from nmblookup and some
did still use it. Restarting when there are locked files isn't that good
and not-restarting prevents some users to get their WWW-dirs.
Forcing smbd to reload the config or re-joining the domain didn't help.)

b) Problem two
If the PDC dies (or only samba) all other sambas in that domain are no
longer in WINS as it seems. There are no problems with the Windows domain
members (as it seems).

Tobias