user password timeout (password expiry)

Bernhard Hornung bernhard.hornung at streamgate.de
Wed Oct 3 06:53:02 GMT 2001

Hello!

We are using Samba 2.2.1a as a PDC and I was looking for the password expiry
functionality, which I consider quite important for security.

I learnded, that the current Samba release does not support this feature, but
I found a patch for CVS head in the ntdom mailing list (posted by
simon at explodingsheep.org in June)

This patch invents the smb.conf parameter "user password timeout = x".  It
seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

But  (when I am right), the latest 2_2 CVS does not include this patch.

Are there any reasons for this?
Do I have to expect any problems when I apply the patch to 2.2.1a?
When does the Samba - team plan to integrate this feature?

I will be glad for any information on this subject!

- Bernhard