W2K and samba PDC logon and remote home

Toomas Soome tsoome at ut.ee
Wed Oct 3 06:51:04 GMT 2001

hi!

latest CVS samba_2_2. user is trying to logon to samba domain with
windows 2000 and he will get messages like 'cannot copy file x to
c:\documents...: access denied'.

so, profile download failed and default profile was created. when we
tried to see permissions for files in w2k profile dir, then windows
explorer was unable to translate SIDs to names.

I investigated the problem and found that user home was on another
server -- and profile as well. so the (temporary?) workaround was simple
-- I had to set up profile path for user to use the logon server name.
this solved profile permission problem for w2k. there is no problem
AFAIK with nt4...

also about setting profile path.... this may be our local problem,
though...

we are useing smbpasswd nis+ table and profile_path entry in it usually
\\homeserver\user\Win\Profile. so my first idea to solve the problem
above was to reset this value to be empty and to use server default for
this very user:

  logon path = \\%L\%U\Win\Profile

all was nice, except %U was replaced with 'nobody' -- the guest user in
our setup...

toomas
--
Fremen add life to spice!