NetBIOS types

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Oct 3 05:46:01 GMT 2001

Anders C. Thorsen wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q163/4/09.ASP
> Just for the "completenes" of the trhead, which also points to another
> useful article on __MSBROWSE__ et.al.
> perhaps a pointer to this info would be useful in the samba docs?
> Anders

And Microsoft says:

+The NetBIOS naming convention allows for 16 characters in a NetBIOS
+name. Microsoft, however, limits NetBIOS names to 15 characters and
+uses the 16th character as a NetBIOS suffix.

This is just plain wrong, because NetBIOS names have been this way since
1984, when the very first papers on the PC Network Program by IBM were
released.

--
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, LPIC-1
www.samba.org, www.ethereal.com, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba