Memory leak

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Tue Oct 2 06:54:02 GMT 2001

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 08:44:43AM -0500, Esh, Andrew wrote:
> I have found a memory leak in winbindd. I am doing repeated "getent passwd"
> calls on a server which is in a domain with over 600 users. The winbindd
> process grows over time, until the server slows to a standstill. Over night,
> winbindd was able to consume 398M. This is using source code which came from
> the SAMBA_2_2 tip as of October 01, 1600 GMT (11:00am, Central, yesterday.)
>
> This problem does not seem to occur at all with smaller numbers of users, so
> there seems to be some sort of threshold effect at work. Either that or the
> leak is so small, it wasn't noticed before this.
>
> The group list did not seem to leak memory, but we have a small number of
> groups, so the problem might be present there as well, but not obvious.
Same for me -- every login from domain user leads winbindd to leak certain
amount of memory. This is also reproduceable using sequences of 'getent
passwd' calls in a loop.

> I will investigate this, and report what I find. Hopefully I can submit a
> patch. I would appreciate someone else verifying this, and possibly
> investigating it themselves, as well.
If you'll have a patch (even rough one), feel free to send it, I'll do
tests as well.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
$ cat /proc/identity >~/.signature