Memory leak

Esh, Andrew AEsh at tricord.com
Tue Oct 2 06:43:02 GMT 2001

I have found a memory leak in winbindd. I am doing repeated "getent passwd"
calls on a server which is in a domain with over 600 users. The winbindd
process grows over time, until the server slows to a standstill. Over night,
winbindd was able to consume 398M. This is using source code which came from
the SAMBA_2_2 tip as of October 01, 1600 GMT (11:00am, Central, yesterday.)

This problem does not seem to occur at all with smaller numbers of users, so
there seems to be some sort of threshold effect at work. Either that or the
leak is so small, it wasn't noticed before this.

The group list did not seem to leak memory, but we have a small number of
groups, so the problem might be present there as well, but not obvious.

I will investigate this, and report what I find. Hopefully I can submit a
patch. I would appreciate someone else verifying this, and possibly
investigating it themselves, as well.

---
Andrew C. Esh                mail:Andrew.Esh at tricord.com
Tricord Systems, Inc.
2905 Northwest Blvd., Suite 20        763-557-9005 (main)
Plymouth, MN 55441-2644 USA      763-551-6418 (direct)
http://www.tricord.com - Tricord Home Page