SAMBA Caching - was Re: Need Help...

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Tue Oct 2 05:06:01 GMT 2001

Please choose a relavent title when posting.

"Need Help" is too ambiguous, and looks a lot like several of the
virus and spam messages currently circulating the web.  Many people have
set their spam filters to automatically delete such messages.

This mailing list is intended for people actually building and debugging
SAMBA.  General queries should be directed to the SAMBA(AT)SAMBA.ORG
mailing list.  As such ambiguous subject titles also tend to be ignored.
(Replace the (AT) above with an @ sign of course)

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Prasad, Sreenivasa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	Could you please clarify my queries on Samba caching.
> 	How does samba handle caching?

SAMBA does not cache file contents, it leaves that to the operating
system.

SAMBA 2.0.6 on OpenVMS implements a read-ahead and write-behind
buffer on file transfers.  This is to assist in mapping a byte range
locking (UNIX) with record locking (OpenVMS RMS).

> How does samba synchronize the caching mechanism with the underlying file
> system?

No file contents are cached that I can tell.  Of course I am still most
familiar with 2.0.6.  There might be something I missed in the current
version, but I really doubt it.  There just is not the potential for
performance by shifting the file caching from the host OS to SAMBA as
opposed to other ways to improve performance.

> Any pointers/info on these are highly helpful.

Your best reference is to read the source code.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only