samba client's access-time modification causes that windows clients receive notification about the file has been changed

Tibor Kiss tkiss at mindmaker.hu
Mon Oct 1 02:59:04 GMT 2001

I would like to work under linux but we have a team using NT file server.
Mounting the NT drive in linux with samba client just accessing the files
the rest of running windows applications (like Developer Studio) receive a
notification about the file has been changed if they edit the same file.
When I checked with FAR (a console based file manager under NT which shows
Create, Access, Modify, -Time for files) I saw that the samba client just
touch the access date flag which is perfectly correct.
But this Big-Black-Box file server is stronger in our office than I could
enforce anything about it, does anybody know a workaround about this
problem?? What can I do to be able to colaborate through this file-server?
May I configure samba to skip touching the access-time flag, as is in
Windows?

Maybe the best solution is the CVS, but unfortunately there exists some
files which cannot be shared promptly without a stronger reorganization of
our team. :(

Tibor