Group authentication errors

Karyn Joseph josephk at std.teradyne.com
Fri Nov 30 15:46:46 GMT 2001

Hi --

I'm running samba 2.2.1 on two Solaris 2.6 servers.  I changed the
server authentication level to server the other day. This was
very well received by most of my users.  They are so happy to
not have to type their password multiple times.

The problem is I have some that are being partially rejected.
For instance, I have a couple of users, they can access
the server, and their NIS home directory, but if they try to access
a share they are being rejected with the following error.

The valid users line includes a group they are a member of, but still
denies them until I add their username to the valid users list.
The group, however, is not the primary gid.  Any thoughts would be
greatly appreciated.

[2001/11/19 17:01:49, 1] smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(554)
  Couldn't find user 'person' in smb_passwd file.
[2001/11/19 17:01:49, 1] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(1005)
  Rejecting user 'person': authentication failed

My globals section looks like:

[global]
        security = server
        password server = SERVER.STD
        workgroup = domain
        netbios name = sambaserver
        server string = Samba %v on (%L)
        log level = 1
        log file = /net/adm/samba/samba-logs/samba.log.sambaserver
#       log file = /usr/local/samba/log/samba.logs.%L
        name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
#       wins proxy = Yes
        wins server = 131.101.XXX.XXX
        username map = /net/std/adm/samba/usermap.txt
        homedir map = u_auto.ah
        NIS homedir = Yes
        include = /net/std/adm/samba/smb.conf.editme

[share]
        path = /net/projects/share
        valid users = @all-eng-users, @431, @projects-1, @projects,\
        @projects-3, @projects-4, @projects-2, @projects-mtest,\

username,username1,username2,username3,username4,username5,username6
        force group = projects
        read only = No
        create mask = 0775
        directory mask = 0775

And yes, the group is a recognized group in the NIS domain.