Minor problems with configure on Solaris 8

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Fri Nov 30 09:35:04 GMT 2001

 While looking at the "-h" problem (caused by passing -shared to
Sun ld), I noticed serveral glitches.

elsbeth> configure --with-smbwrapper
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
[...]
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes

	I don't use gcc, although an old copy does exist
	on the machine in /usr/local. The first test is
	correct, the second erronious, and the erronious
	result end up in my makefile as CC=gcc.

checking for _read... (cached) yes
checking for __read... (cached) no

	In Unix, this is a bit doubtfull.  The
	_ and __ namespaces are reserved for the
	implementer's under-the-covers fiddling.

	Calling _read instead of read is generally
	bad: in a shared library interceptor, one
	normally uses
	p = (void *)dlsym((void *)handle, (const char *)"read");

	[The Solarii actually use _read for calls to a
	read that can't be interecepted...]

checking for _write... (cached) yes
checking for __write... (cached) no
checking for _fork... (cached) yes
checking for __fork... (cached) no
checking for _stat64... (cached) yes
checking for __stat64... (cached) no
checking for _fstat64... (cached) yes
checking for __fstat64... (cached) no

	and so on...

	Commenting out CC=gcc in the Makefile
	produces some other problems: I'll send them next.

--dave
Americas Customer Engineering, | some people and astonish the rest.
SunPS Integration Services.    |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com