Suggestion: make Winbindd more Active-Directory-alike

Mathew McKernan mathewmckernan at optushome.com.au
Thu Nov 29 03:06:06 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I don't know if this is possible but how about we establish a parameter for
winbindd called "winbindd username order". Which would allow administrators
to set their own user strings. For example, in my workplace we are wanting
to use winbindd on our Linux boxes but are held back because the Domain
preceeds the username, our users a very simple minded (teachers in my school
are very old schoo with it comes to computers, i.e. KISS, no offence to any
teachers on this list.)

For example: winbindd username order = %u@%D would create: fred at SACREDHEART
or winbindd username order = %user would create fred.

This would make winbind much more flexible from a compatibility side.
Obviously there would have to be strict instructions on its use since it can
"break" things such as mail as previously mentioned.

Thanks

Mathew McKernan