Filename/Spaces (PR#22052)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Nov 28 13:27:06 GMT 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 06:13:59AM -0800, dan at onemind.com wrote:
> Full_Name: Dan Fraser
> Samba_Version: 2.2.0
> Server_OS: NetBSD 1.5.1
> Client_OS: Windows 2000
> Submission from: (NULL) (24.114.205.188)
>

> Samba cannot access files whose names end with a space or other non-printable
> character.  This appears mainly when trying to copy a large subdirectory
> structure from a Samba server to a Windows client.

Ok, I've done some investigations into this and it seems
to be a unicode issue. ie. If the server supports unicode
on the wire then the client will traverse into a directory
that ends in spaces. This means that using the W2K GUI
tools and the currnet Samba HEAD (3.0) code you can traverse
into a directory ending in space, but not access a file
ending in a space (see below).

However, using the Microsoft clients it is impossible to
create a file/directory ending in a space. I was able to
do this using smbclient (once again proving that Microsoft
depends on clients to behave well :-) and created a file
that was unable to be accessed via the W2K GUI tools (the
tools would always truncate the terminating space).

This looks like a underlying difference between the systems,
and I'm not sure if this is fixable.

Jeremy.