Suggestion: make Winbindd more Active-Directory-alike

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Wed Nov 28 12:18:01 GMT 2001

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 10:40:21AM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 10:13:21AM -0800, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > i think this will not work out of the box with sendmail for example...
>
> Ah, ok. I see I was thinking too Samba-specific.....
>
> Aren't there sendmail rules that can deal with a username
> containing a '@', or is this considered "not done" in admin
> circles....

Yeah - he's right. You'd have to convince your MTA to send and receive Email
 without appending it's domain (as it's already part of the usercode).

Not as easy as I thought. I guess that's why Active Directory treats Email
addresses as *aliases* for domain/usercodes instead of actually formally
supporting them....

I guess a similar solution for Unix would be needed. Use DOMAIN+username for
usernames, map that via LDAP to Email addresses, then use PAM LDAP modules
to allow users to login with their Email addresses... :-)

Mmmmm, at most five minutes work there... ;-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Information Security Manager
Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417