Winbind separator as viewed from Windows

Mike Pain mtp at blaby.gov.uk
Tue Nov 27 08:00:07 GMT 2001

I appear to have a problem (on the stable 2.2.2 samba compiled with
winbind and acls (and Brandon Stone's recycle bin), with a 2.4.14 kernel
along with acls from acl.bestbits.at on a RedHat 7.2 box)...

If I change the default winbind separator from \ to + as suggested (I
agree that at the unix level the backslash is problematic with a shell),
then the File Permissions window (from the Permissions tab of the Security
tab of a file's properties) on a file shows either:
a) No user/groupnames at all from an NT4sp6a box or
b) User/groupnames like domain+user or domain+group from a Win9x box using
the nexus sysadmin tools.

When using the \ the names appear correctly on both NT and 9x boxes (just
the username without the domain part), plus the full name appears in
brackets as supplied by the PDC, which our users will need as they will not
necessarily know each others usernames.

My C isn't up to changing this but surely, regardless of the separator used
on the samba box, it should return a backslash to the external client such
that user/groupnames are displayed correctly?

I originally posted this to the samba and samba-ntdom lists, but no replies
to this problem were forthcoming (thanks Jerry for showing me the obvious
about getent).  This is a bit of a showstopper for us as we also wish to
access the unix shell, and the backslash is causing problems, but without it
the ACLs at the windows clients are unusable.

As an aside, does anyone know how to stop the security event log on an NT
PDC filling up with lots of ANONYMOUS accesses to the Security Account
Manager (see my post on the other lists for more details)

Thanks for any help.

Mike

the system manager.

This message has been scanned for viruses.
Blaby District Council - 0116 275 0555