Problems With Passwords From Win98 To Password Chat

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Nov 27 04:54:01 GMT 2001

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Peter J. Krawetzky wrote:

> Does anyone know what the problem might be with the
> password chat below?
>
> smb.conf settings:
> encrypt passwords = yes
> unix password sync = yes
> smb password file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
>
> (note: when I had it coded at %u, it was
> failing with a message saying that only root can
> specify a userid)

This would be a problem.

> passwd chat = *password* %0\n *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *success*

What is %0?  I assume you are meaning %o (the old password).
However, with "encrypt passwords = yes" this value is not known.
That's why we call the routine as root.  So that we don't need
the old password.

Try setting "debug password chat = yes" and "log level = 100"
to see the conversation.

Did you ask this on samba at samba.org?  Would be more
appropriate there.

> password level = 0