Resend - with PINE

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Nov 24 18:30:08 GMT 2001

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 10:22:35PM +0200, sunny at disksites.com wrote:

> Asynchronous open will not ensure the file was really opened successfully.
> This might be a problem when open() is used to verify a file exists.
>
> Why is the traversal needed on every new process - can't it be moved
> before Samba starts processing requests (i.e. before any fork() takes
> place)?

The traversal is needed in case a running samba process aborted
and left dead records in the tdb. Cleanup should be done periodically
to ensure this db is safe. We could change to doing the scan every
10 startups or so..... but we must do it periodically for robustness
reasons.

Jeremy.

PS. You're now sending ascii email, thanks :-).