proposed net command structure

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Sat Nov 24 15:25:02 GMT 2001

Jim,

I'd like to propose a slightly different syntax for the net
command. For each of the commands in net there are often several ways
of implementing it, for example you can dump lists of users via RAP,
MSRPC or ADS. Right now net is very RAP oriented, but I think we
should expand it to do the other methods. This will not only be useful
as a diagnostic tool, but also for our testing.

What I propose is this:

net rap user   - lists users via rap
net ads user   - lists users via ads (ldap)
net rpc user   - lists user via rpc
net user       - auto-selects which method to use

The auto-selection would work like this:

 - if we are a member of an ADS realm then use ADS
 - we are a domain member use rpc
 - otherwise use RAP

The new infrastructure I put into net.c last night should make this
sort of system much easier. Does it sound OK to you?

Cheers, Tridge