who is creating TESTDIR.TMP ?

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Nov 22 15:00:04 GMT 2001

On 22 Nov 2001, Andrew Tridgell <tridge at samba.org> wrote:
> NT is creating it. The real question is why it isn't automatically
> deleted. I suspect our delete on close code has been recently
> broken.

Tridge, I was thinking about this after the garden tea on Wednesday,
and wondered if it was something to do with NT's ACL system.  I think
it would be possible to have a directory D1 with an ACL that allows
you to create a subdirectory D2, but that then makes the inherited ACL
on D2 be such that no files can be created inside it.  One explanation
for the TESTDIR.TMP file might be that the client is trying to see if
this has occurred.  Possibly if it gets permission denied on creating
the directory, then it will go back and try to change the ACL?

No idea if this is true; I was just trying to think up a plausible
reason for the test.

--
Martin