VFS: connect to share is different with Win98 and smbclient

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Nov 20 22:27:01 GMT 2001

On 20 Nov 2001, Rainer Link <link at foo.fh-furtwangen.de> wrote:

> Well, why does smbclient and Windows behave different here? The main
> problem with Win* is, that if an user is connected to three shares and
> opens a somewhat bigger file (-> virus scanning takes some time) all the
> other shares are slowed down, as only one smbd child is forked. I even
> had a report that by retrieving a 30 MB ZIP-File, which is scanned
> recursively as I've specified within SAVI to scan inside zip files, no
> more connections to other shares are possible by this user. With
> smbclient, for every share one smbd child (and therefore one
> smbd_vscan_sophos "child") is forked. So, retrieving one large file from
> one share does not slow down speed of the other shares. At least I
> wasn't able to reproduce this behaviour.

I seem to recall that Win9x opens only a single socket connection to a
server and performs all operations for all shares and security
contexts across that socket.  smbclient is a more "normal" unix
program in that each instance of the program opens its own socket.

I'm not sure what to do about this -- it might require a big change
inside Samba -- but hopefully it's a useful start...

--
Martin