Strange Domain Name...

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Nov 20 16:24:07 GMT 2001

> Hello Folks,
>
> Thanks a lot for reply, but....
> It's turning really interesting... no solution until now...
> Using linux, I cannot get to visualize the wrong Domain.. CEMNTER.
> I got this only using Windows Explorer...
>
> I tryed this:
>
> HOST - Wins Server and PDC (NT4)
> MERU - my linux box
> CENTER - Real and Correct Windows Domain
>

> ./nmblookup -R -U 192.168.111.11 CEMNTER
> querying CEMNTER on 192.168.111.11
> 255.255.255.255 CEMNTER<00>

You are getting a group name.  That means the machine has not registered
the 00 name as a unique name.  Odd.

Try:  nmblookup cemnter#1d

...if it's on the local LAN you'll find it this way, otherwise it will be
difficult.

> ./nmblookup cemnter
> querying cemnter on 192.168.142.255
> 255.255.255.255 cemnter2<00>
                         ^
The '2' should not be here.  Where did that come from?

Otherwise, this means that the query is being passed to the WINS server
and you are getting a WINS response.

>  ./nmblookup -A 255.255.255.255
> Looking up status of 255.255.255.255
>         MERU            <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
>         MERU            <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
>         MERU            <20> -         M <ACTIVE>
>         CENTER        <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>

Yeah, that's not going to do much for you.

> Maybe if I run my machine with the wrong name, I can find the guilty
> machine.... what about it?

Don't think it will help...

Take a look in the Browse.dat file on the Samba box and see if you find
an entry of CEMNTER.  Your goal is to find the IP address of that box.

Chris -)-----