Alerting sysadmins [Was: Deleting parameters]

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Tue Nov 20 04:44:07 GMT 2001

Martin Pool wrote:
> I think it would be pretty possible to add "deprecated" flags [...]
> On the other hand many sysadmins will never look at logfiles or even
> stderr, so it's not a perfect solution.

	You just triggered a thought: some few sysadmins
	use one of the standard event consoles to keep
	them warned of problems.

	Sun's started shipping theirs free, and I know
	BSD and Linux have them, so perhaps we should be
	thinking in terms of filtering the logs for
	"alerts" to bring to the admin's attention,
	either in a console or via something simple
	like a swat window or email(!)

	I'm thinking of both text-based displays
	with lines colored to indicate severity and
	gui variants with colored icons to indicate
	particular problems...

	Ron, you're working with Sun's console,
	what should an app like Samba provide?

--dave
Americas Customer Engineering, | some people and astonish the rest.
SunPS Integration Services.    |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com