authentication errors

Karyn Joseph josephk at std.teradyne.com
Mon Nov 19 17:11:45 GMT 2001

Hi --

I'm running samba 2.2.1 on two Solaris 2.6 servers.  I changed the
server authentication level to server the other day. This was
very well received by most of my users.  They are so happy to
not have to type their password multiple times.

The problem is I have some that are being completely or partially
rejected.  For instance, I have a couple of users, they can access
the server, and their NIS home directory, but if they try to access
a share they have group permissions to they are being rejected with
the following error.  I also have others that are being rejected
with the same error, but just trying to access the server.  BTW -
their Unix and NT usernames do match.

[2001/11/19 17:01:49, 1] smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(554)
  Couldn't find user 'person' in smb_passwd file.
[2001/11/19 17:01:49, 1] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(1005)
  Rejecting user 'person': authentication failed

My globals section looks like:

[global]
	security = server
	password server = GALA.STD
	workgroup = bigmagic
	netbios name = bigborg
	server string = Samba %v on (%L)
	log level = 1
	log file = /net/adm/samba/samba-logs/samba.log.bigborg
#	log file = /usr/local/samba/log/samba.logs.%L
	name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
#	wins proxy = Yes
	wins server = 131.101.208.195
	username map = /net/std/adm/samba/usermap.txt
	homedir map = u_auto.ah
	NIS homedir = Yes
	include = /net/std/adm/samba/smb.conf.editme

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.