Deleting parameters.

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Nov 19 16:06:03 GMT 2001

On 11 Nov 2001, "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Sean Elble wrote:
>
> > Maybe Tridge would disagree with you, but I'm with him
> > on this one. :-) There will always be unused/stupid,
> > and even dangerous options in a program, and it is up
> > to the both the users and developers to realize that.

I think it would be pretty possible to add "deprecated" flags to
particular entries in loadparm:

	{"writable", P_BOOLREV|P_DEPRECATED, P_LOCAL,
	&sDefault.bRead_only, NULL, NULL, 0},

causing a warning message to be printed out on startup, perhaps with a
URL or documentation reference for more information on migration.
On the other hand many sysadmins will never look at logfiles or even
stderr, so it's not a perfect solution.

--
Martin