Windows XP and "logon home"

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 19 02:00:03 GMT 2001

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Jay Ts wrote:

> So, everything works as expected except for Windows XP, which does
> not ignore the \.win_profile\%m part.  Instead, it looks for the
> user home directory in \\toltec\jay\.win_profile\zuni (for example,
> on the network here).

Odd; I came up against the same problem with Windows 2000 clients,
whereas you suggest that for you Windows 2000 behaves like NT4 in this
respect?

Anyway, the way worked around this is to introduce an smb.conf include
based on detected client architecture (the %a macro):

[global]
	; location of Windows 9x roving profiles
	logon home = \\%N\%U\profile
	; location of NT roving profiles
	logon path = \\%N\%U\ntprofile
	include = /etc/smb.conf.%a

and smb.conf.Win2K (which, as you point out, covers XP too) sez:

	logon home = \\%N\%U

This gives me the expected location for "home directory" in 2K and XP,
without messing up the location of roving profiles for 9x users.

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology