Windows XP and "logon home"

Jay Ts jay at toltec.metran.cx
Sat Nov 17 20:56:01 GMT 2001

Just to make myself useful for something, I thought I'd report
the following behavior seen here with regards to Windows XP and
the "logon home" directory, with a Samba PDC.

I have logon home defined thusly in my smb.conf:

	logon home = \\toltec\%u\.win_profile\%m

Windows 95/98/Me and Windows NT/2000 systems then can mount the
user's home directory \\toltec\%u using the MS-DOS command

	net use H: /home

(which I have placed in my logon.bat file in [netlogon], to be
used as the logon script for all Windows systems.) The \.win_profile\%m
part of logon home is for Windows 95/98/Me roaming profiles, and it is
documented as "correct behavior" that this part of the path is ignored for
determining the home directory.

So, everything works as expected except for Windows XP, which does
not ignore the \.win_profile\%m part.  Instead, it looks for the
user home directory in \\toltec\jay\.win_profile\zuni (for example,
on the network here).  This corresponds to a directory on the server
of /home/jay/.win_profile/zuni.

There is a simple workaround: I've made a symbolic link called "zuni"
that points to /home/jay, and XP is redirected to the proper directory.
However, in My Computer, H: is listed as "zuni on \toltec\jay\.win_profile",
which is kinda weird.

Anyway, I just wanted to report that to the Samba team, in case y'all
are not already aware of this.

Jay Ts
jayts at iname.com